Inspired by my recent story on the 10-step Korean skincare routine, I decided to dig a bit deeper into one of the more important, yet mystifying skincare techniques: double cleansing. Although you have probably heard a thing or two about this beauty method, as it’s been popping up everywhere lately on the beauty blogesphere, it’s actually a technique the Japanese have been practicing for centuries. Geisha women practiced this two-step process as a logical and super effective way to remove their heavy paint-like makeup.
The process follows a simple formula: Cleanse first with an oil to dissolve the makeup. Then follow up with a soapier cleanser that removes leftover impurities and cleanses deeper into the pores. Have you ever washed your face and then used a cleansing wipe and find that there is still a ton of dirt on your face? I definitely have, especially if I wear sunscreen, tinted moisturizer, bb cream or foundation. Just one wash at the end of the day isn’t going to do the trick. Even non-makeup related impurities like toxins from environmental pollutions and sweat work their way deep into pores.
When left in the skin, those impurities can lead to a number of problems that we usually just brush off as “normal,” like wrinkles, dullness, acne, bumps and redness. Double cleansing is like the deep cleansing of skincare and not only prevents bad and aging skin, but it also allows for proper absorption of serums and moisturizers, making your skincare routine all around more-effective.
I am super excited because my go-to skincare brand, all natural and non-toxic Vermont based Tata Harper (I use her whole line, no joke) has recently launched two new cleansers that totally support this whole double cleansing sitch: Nourishing Oil Cleanser and the Purifying Cleanser.
This is how Tata recommends you use the magical makeup removing Nourishing Oil:
1. First, lightly wet the hands and pump a few pumps of the Nourishing Oil Cleanser into the palms. Smooth over your face so it’s completely covered, and let it sit for a few seconds.
2. Splash a bit of water on the skin and begin a brief facial massage: Really massage the oil into the skin in circular motions, focusing on the area around the nose, the cheeks, chin and forehead. This boosts microcirculation, which flushes fresh blood and oxygen into the skin to give it a healthy glow.
3. Rinse thoroughly.
Next up is the Purifying Cleanser. It is designed to work deep in the skin, with a blend of Essential Oils (clove, ginger, turmeric, silver fir) that penetrate the skin to help flush away impurities that are deeply lodged. Tata Recommends:
1. While the skin is still damp, apply a few pumps of the Purifying Cleanser to the whole face (and experience that incredibly zesty, wake-you-up scent!).
2. Massage lightly, to activate the enzymes and essential oils and to allow the product to really penetrate the skin. You can even leave the cleanser on your skin for a few minutes to act as a mini detox mask.
3. Rise thoroughly, and viola! Skin will be clean and tingling, soft to the touch and totally makeup free.
Now for those of you that have oilier complexions, acne, or live in tropical climates, the Oil Cleanser might be too heavy. Fortunately for you, Tata’s already existing Regenerating Cleanser is the perfect alternative. It’s what I have been relying on for the past year – I looove it. It’s packed with super light exfoliation beads to buff away dead skin and buildup. You should still follow it up with a second cleanse using the new Purifying Cleanser.
Tata’s line is super unique because she has a commitment not only to health, but results. It’s a matter of making quality products with quality of ingredients. I am serious – what she is doing is truly groundbreaking because it’s the first line – in the world – to give you true anti-aging technology without synthetic materials. In person, I could see for myself that her skin literally glows, and by using her products, yours will too.