There’s no better time than the present to fully dissect those beauty essentials needed for in-flight beautification. I’m sitting on the plane to Antigua and have just fully analyzed my numerous little “beauty” bags that are perfectly organized in my oversized tote. Want to compile your own in-flight beauty bag that will keep your looking beautiful at 32,000 feet? Look no further.
First of all, it’s important that you have a large bag, because this list isn’t small. Secondly, make sure you have a few little makeup bags (or ziplocks) so you can have everything separated by category. I travel quite often, and know that proper hydration and moisture is key to looking your best when you land. Sleep is pretty crucial too, but let’s get real, who really has time to sleep? So, when you’re running short on time, here are some quick things to do to compensate for your lack of beauty sleep:
Tip 1: Clean Face – Its doesn’t matter if you are taking an early morning flight or the redeye, use this time in the air as an opportunity to go makeup-free. Caked on make-up plus in-flight cabin pressure will only agitate you skin.
Tip 2: Hydration – Chug as much water as humanly possible before walking through security. Buy the largest water possible once past security and make sure to finish it before you land. You’ll have to make a few trips to the bathroom, but it’s so worth it.
Tip 3: Tea – I like to carry my own tea bags. I don’t drink dairy in-flight, so coffee with my standard almond milk isn’t an option. Airport black coffee is just too aggressive, so tea is really your second best option. I bring Yogi Tea in Purely Peppermint if I want to relax and Green Tea Energy when I need a little pick-me-up. I sweeten both with a little Stevia.
Tip 4: Sound and Light Control – Always remember to bring earplugs and an ear pillow if you are a light sleeper like me and you want to use the plane to get a little catnap.
Tip 5: Snackies – Always travel with something healthy to eat, because you never know what is going to happen or how long you might be stuck somewhere les miserable. I love dried mangos, raw cashews and almonds and raw strawberries.
Now, lets get down to business. This is what I bring in terms of product for some legit in-flight beautification:
1. Red Flower Refreshing Hand & Face Towelettes, Italian Blood Orange: To keep your skin feeling smooth and fresh, you need to rid your face of the impurities you encounter during the flight. These wipes take off even the heaviest of dirt and makeup and also double as a great hand sanitizer.
2. SHISEIDO Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask: Yes, sometimes I use an eye mask in-flight. How do you think I arrive so rested? Just 15 minutes later and your eyes are de-puffed, fine lines eliminated and skin is tighter and brighter.
3. Tata Harper Deluxe Beauty Set: This all natural and organic line is my go-to, year-round, for perfect and luminous skin that gets people asking, “Did you get Botox?!” I apply the entire set (minus the mask) in flight right before landing, post eye mask.
5. Rodin Hand and Body Cream: I die for the smell of Rodin. It totally relaxes me and puts me at ease. Containing calming Jasmine and nourishing Neroli essential oils, it’s just what I need to keep my hands soft and my mind clear.
6. Tata Harper Aromatic Stress Treatment: This is my newest travel accessory. I apply liberally to my pulse points to help me relax. I also LOVE the Irritability Treatment. Say goodbye to the stress from the crying babies that you inevitably get seated next to.
7. : I am obsessed. Used by models everywhere, these drops are the key to removing redness, dryness, and dullness from your eyes in a pinch. Warning: you might become addicted. Apply right before landing!
8. Tatcha Lip Balm: This is the best. No explanation needed. Even my boyfriend has become addicted. This is a must buy.
9. Shiseido BB Cream: Recommended by my friend Mimi, this tinted BB is my new saving grace. The color is perfect and gives me glowy (not greasy) and healthy looking skin. I apply after my Tata Harper Skin Routine right before landing.
10. Mac Fix + Travel Size: For an instant glowing complexion, I liberally spray this vitamin packed essence over my face and neck. It’s a must-have for a healthy glow and you can apply – magically – above or below makeup (even powder). I apply with my BB for a flawless finish. Everyone needs this.
11. RMS Beauty “Un” Cover-Up (shade 22): My eyes instantly look brighter and more refreshed after using this concealer. It works like a charm at reducing puffiness and fine lines. I also use around the nose area where it tends to get red.
12. Benefit Eye Bright: Hello, lover. I like to pop this under my eyes, down the brim of my nose, on my cupid’s bow and anywhere else I need a little love for a pick-me-up. It’s perfect as eyeshadow or lipstick base as well.
13. RMS Beauty Lip 2 Cheek in Sublime: This is a true red with just a hint of poppy to suit all skin tones. This baby gives cheeks a natural rosiness and stains lips with a desirable youthfulness. It’s great for travel because it’s multifunctioning.
14. RMS Beauty Buriti Bronzer: This is my latest go-to bronzer. I am obsessed. I apply on the forehead and right under the line of my cheekbones. Don’t forget, you need a great brush for ideal application, like the Tom Ford Shade and Illuminate Brush.
15. Le Metier Beaute, Precision Liquid Liner, Nior: Foolproof application. I apply a little cat “flick” on the outside corners of my eyes for something modern and different.
16. Ellis Faas’ Mascara Black: This mascara perfectly lengthens and separates lashes with a velvety formula. This is my latest fave.
17. Byredo EDP Travel Case, $295: This is perfect for traveling or simply keeping in your everyday tote. Byredo’s 12ml bottle of perfume is housed in a python case with a handy magnetic lid. The woody, yet sweet fragrance has a smoky undertone created with base notes of Tobacco and Moss and top notes of Lemoncello and Cardamom. DON’T SPRAY ON THE PLANE for obvious reasons.
18. Klorane Dry Shampoo Mini: Yes, this classic is so obvious, but you need it. Perfectly tousled bed-head hair is so chic, no? Spray in the airport bathroom once you arrive at your destination.